11 Jan 2013

Richly Flavoured Chicken Pot Pie



I saw those ramekin bowls and knew it was now time to tackle that challenging goal of cooking chicken pot pies. Let's see creme brulee otu of this for the moment, don't you think that torch burning thing is such an essential equipment for that venture?

I wanted my pot pie to be creamy with a depth of flavour that will leave its devour-er scraping bowl, licking knife, fork and lips. May I say that I think I have found that much sought recipe? I found it on a magazine cut out which I had kept some months ago (don't ask me which magazine. Oooookay ask me. Answer - I don't know - he he he). And from that basic recipe I tweak it here and there and made my own pot pie recipe.

While I baked I sang, "The king was in his counting room, counting all his money. And when the pie was opened the birds began to sing. Now wasn't that a dainty dish to set before the king?"

Please ask my king, more likely, my King Kong. He fought with his daughter over the one pot pie left and I can only say I was smiling quite smugly to myself.

Here it is my Richly Flavoured Chicken Pot Pie (the somewhat reddish tint is as a result of paprika powder and tomato paste)

RICHLY FLAVOURED CHICKEN POT PIE

2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
500 gms, chicken thigh fillet, chopped
2 tsps full paprika
200 gms button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 tbsp tomato paste
420 gms can cream of mushroom condensed soup
2 tsps Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsps sour cream
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 egg yolk



1. Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft. Add chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked. Add paprika, mushrooms and paste. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until mushrooms are soft. Stir in combined soup and sauce. Bring to boil. Stir in cream. If sauce seems to thick add in water or milk to thin it as you like it. Spoon evenly into four overproof dishes (11/2-cup capacity).



2. Cut pastry into square quarters. Place pastry squares on top of chicken mixture, allowing excess pastry to over-hang side of dishes. Brush with egg yolk.



3. Cook in hot over (200C) for about 15 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and crisp.

4. Stand pies for 5 minutes before serving.


My son enjoying his Chicken Pot Pie for lunch on a day sick off from school.


2 comments: