16 Nov 2011

Fabric Shopping in Jalan Masjid India





I would like to declare to the world at large that I think I can confidently say that I know where to get the best cotton fabrics in Bangkok. It was time, I told myself not too many days ago, to become a little expert in cotton fabrics that can be found in my own home town, Kuala Lumpur.


“What?!” I shrieked to my sister and friend, Mus. “Don't tell me, Jalan Masjid India is the ONLY place to find well priced, gorgeous cotton fabrics?” It turned out that it did indeed. For the moment at least, for I have not yet explored the whole of KL.

We headed for Jakel. I love, love, love all their Swiss and Japanese cottons. Oh oh oh...my voracious eyes swallowed them in, my hands caressed the beautiful prints. They were much more expensive than the cottons I have found in Bangkok, the softness, the richness of the prints justified it all. Commercially though, I would have to get creative to be able to use them in my designs and yet still make the clothes I am producing affordable.

I bought three samples of materials, I selected them for the sole purpose of beading. I am going to learn how to bead from Mus. I thought I'd share with you the three fabrics I had bought here.

Oh before I forget the facts, the imported cottons priced began from approximately RM 32 per meter and climbed up and up and up. You may however be offered discounts if you explained to them that you are a designer. I asked them plainly what kind of discounts might I expect if I were to buy a minimum quantity of 10 meters for fabrics costing RM 36 per meter. I was told that I could expect at least RM 32 per meter, i.e. a discount of RM 4 per meter. Pooh! Not much ya. She also explained that more may be offered for purchases of 40 meters and more. The fabrics may be assorted in colours and prints.

Want to shop at Jakel? Click on the name to go to their website.

No. 209, 210, 211 and 212,
Jalan Bunos Off Jalan Masjid India,
50100 Kuala Lumpur.

Tel: 03-2698 6798



2 comments:

  1. The first pattern above would make a real good beading work, if you are into the blings. Great for the OTTs, you'll be kissing your frogs all the way to the bank!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha! Now all I've got to do is find the time to set out on my beading adventure.

    ReplyDelete